A Quick History
1. Gallupville Fire & Hose Co. formed in 1925
2. Chemical tank purchased in February 1929
3. Fell apart in 1929
4. Re-organized in 1942 when 95% of the taxpayers asked the Town Board to establish a Fire District for the whole of Wright.
5. The initial account was $213 which was increased by $140 through a roast pork dinner and $160 by a masguarade ball
6. Special election was held July 6, 1942 to buy a fire truck for $4500. It did not pass by a tie vote
7. Vote held again in March 1943 and soundly rejected 39 for 56 against
8. 1944 Commissioner created new specs and third vote was held in January 1945. It passed and the truck was delivered in August. No small feat as there was a war on.
9. The Ford truck cost $5250
10. Only $1,000 could come from taxpayers per year. So $650 was put down and the rest financed at $920/year until 1950
11. Schoharie School wanted to sell the old schoolhouse at this same time. $750 plus $20 for stove, two desks and chairs was bid.
12. Remember the $1000 cap and $650 going to the truck? Seven members and commissioners each loaned $100 to the Department.
13. It needed renovations and an addition which cost another $4,000
14. Again members and commissioners loaned $300 each at 4% interest to finance this. To get paid each year a name was drawn from a hat for payment.
15. The Auxiliary was formed in April 1949
16. In November 1953 the District was finally free of debt